St. John of Damascus, one of the great Church Fathers, lived in a time of much change and turmoil. In a time when Orthodox doctrine was maturing, St. John confronted challenges from both outside and inside the church. From without, there was the rise of Islam to confront as St. John became the first Christian writer to approach the new faith in a systematic manner with a defense of the divinity of Christ against Islamic claims. From within, St. John defended the veneration of holy icons against the claims and attacks of the Iconoclasts. Watch our video to learn more about St. John of Damascus, also known as John Damascene, to learn more about his life and times.
St. John was also known as John Damascene and as Χρυσορρόας / Chrysorrhoas (literally "streaming with gold"—i.e., "the golden speaker"), was a (Eastern) Roman monk and priest. Born and raised in Damascus c. 675 or 676, he died at his monastery, Mar Saba, near Jerusalem on 4 December 749.
Logo Animation: Toby Garrow
•Music/Soundtrack - Drums Of War
•Composer - Chris Hein
•Publisher - Chris Hein Production
Sound Dimension (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enQyoFCrSXY)
1. SUPPORT: If you enjoy our videos, please consider supporting our effort on Patreon. Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/trisagionfilms.
You may also make your donations through PayPal at - https://www.paypal.me/trisagionfilms.
2. SUBSCRIBE: To be notified about future videos: https://www.youtube.com/Trisagionfilms
3. CONNECT: Join the discussion on our other social media channels.
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/TrisagionFilms
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/trisagionfilms
Twitter -- https://twitter.com/trisagion_films
Website - https://www.trisagionfilms.com
4. LISTEN: Subscribe to our other channel which is dedicated to podcasts:
5. THANK YOU: TrisagionFilms is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization whose mission is to bring the Orthodox faith to all by presenting tangible theology through original videos and articles, all to the glory of God. We cover aspects of Orthodox worship and practice, pilgrimage, the lives of the saints, iconography and the sacred arts, and recordings of homilies, interviews, and special events.